Now through October 7, 2022, AWI is accepting applications for its 2022 Refinement Grants. AWI offers grants of up to US$10,000 to develop and test innovative methods of refinement to the care, husbandry, or housing of animals in research to improve their welfare.Application Requirements
- To qualify for the award, applicants must be based in and the project must be conducted in the United States or Canada.
- Projects that inflict avoidable stress or involve killing animals will not be funded.
- Applicants are asked to submit a completed application form, a resume/curriculum vitae and a letter of support/recommendation. Click here to access the online application form and here to preview the form.
- Award notifications will be made in November 2022.
- Proposals may be part of other research projects, but the portion included in the proposal should be broadly applicable, and the research component must be completed within one year (shorter durations are encouraged).
- Award recipients must agree to submit a 500-word summary of the results of the project, including photographs (if applicable), at its conclusion. This summary may be edited for potential publication, with the recipientâ€™s approval, in the AWI Quarterly magazine. Summaries for the 2022 grant recipients are due no later than January 31, 2024.
- Award recipients must agree to submit their results for publication in an appropriate journal or presentation at a widely attended scientific meeting.
- It is AWI policy that no award funds can be used for indirect costs (e.g., overhead) or for the purchase of animals, unless they will be rehomed at the end of the study. Salaries or stipends may be included in the proposal.
- For additional information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.